We wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the progress for firearm safety and violence protection in Vermont. We also wanted to make you aware of what VMS, in coordination with the American Academy of Pediatrics Vermont Chapter, is doing and what YOU can do to get involved!
1. Contact your Representatives and ask them to Stand with our Students and Protect their Future by voting YES on S.55 – Find your Rep. here.
VMS Member Rebecca Bell, Pediatric Intensive Care Physician at UVMMC has been leading the charge in advocacy, speaking on behalf of VMS and the AAPVT Chapter, at the statehouse. S.55 - the bill that contains Universal Background Checks, raising the minimum age to purchase firearms, and prohibition of bump stocks and high capacity magazine feeders – will be up for discussion in the House starting this week. This bill passed the House Judiciary Committee yesterday by a vote of 6-5. The bill as passed the committee can be read here.
2. Join your colleagues at the March for Our Lives in Montpelier on March 24th from 12:00 to 2:00 – More information on the event can be found here.
This Saturday, come together and take part in the March for our Lives to Stand with Students. A BIG THANK YOU to friend of the Society, Tyler Littwin for designing the awesome posters (attached) for members and others to print and use during the March! I will have a small supply of each printed for those in attendance who would like them and to share widely with others! Posters for you to print are here:
3. For those coming to Montpelier, the VMS parking lot and office will be open starting at 11:00 (134 Main Street, Montpelier) for folks to meet up and congregate before the March. As parking is limited I would recommend planning to arrive by 11:00 a.m. We will have the coffee ready J
4. Attend the Vermont Medical Society Advocacy Day on March 29th – Register Here.
This event will offer three different opportunities and you are encouraged to attend what you can, especially the legislative reception (4-5:30 pm) where you will have an opportunity to mingle with legislators and advocate on issues of importance to you and your patients! Come and invite your own legislators to join you!
5. Let us know how you are involved!
We want to know how you are involved.
- If you contact legislators let us know! We especially would like to hear their feedback.
- If you are attending the March for Our Lives let us know!
- Tell us where you will be and if you will be in Montpelier let us know so we can meet up!
Take pictures! If you are taking a stand, at the March or doing something else on this issue, take a photo and send it to us. We would love to use it on social media and for a future newsletter article.
6. Invite your friends, family & colleagues to take a stand for students
Share this information freely and widely! We must be a voice to Stand with Students and Protect our Future!
Thank you for your continued leadership and standing up for your patients and OUR STUDENTS!