VMS dues support a number of educational offerings throughout the state. Examples include CME sessions on opiate treatment, various legal and clinical issues, and the VMS annual meeting.
Below is a collection of educational materials that may be helpful to physicians. See also the VMS Green Mountain Physician newsletter and Legislative Bulletin articles for helpful updates on clinical and policy issues that arise throughout the year.
A comprehensive guide written by Vermont health care attorneys and other experts designed to give physicians and health care facilities a fundamental understanding of legal and regulatory requirements that affect the delivery of health care in Vermont today. Topics include:
- Business formation
- State and federal confidentiality laws
- Employment law
- Fraud and abuse
- Medical marijuana
- Mental health law
- Professional liability
- Risk management.
This page includes helpful information such as:
- Links to the Vermont Department of Health Rules regarding prescribing opioids and checking the Vermont Prescription Monitoring Program
- Information for clinicians engaged in medication assisted therapy
- Treatment guidelines for opiate prescribing and drug screening, and
- Resources that help treat patients with alcohol and other substance use disorders.
Vermont Board of Medical Practice
- Board Website
- CME and Licensing Requirements
- VMS Communications:
- Information and resources for small practices
- AMA toolkit that aims to help physicians comply with HIPAA, including revisions that went into effect Sept. 23, 2013.
- VMS Model Notice of Privacy Practices (Updated 2013)
- Free CME on HIPAA compliance
- Section 1557 Summary and Resources: Regulations implementing a prohibition of discrimination by health care services found in Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act
- Americans with Disability Act Information: Providing access to medical care for individuals with mobility disabilities
- Interpreter Issues and Resources
Physician Assisted Death / Medical Aid in Dying (Vermont Act 39)
For more information about Act 39 in Vermont, please see the following resources:
- Department of Health Website dedicated to the Patient Choices and Control and the End of Life law including forms for patients and physicians and FAQs
- Vermont Ethics Network overview of PAD and the law
- VMS Guide to Health Care Law chapter on End of Life
Vermont Therapeutic Use of Cannabis/Medical Marijuana Registry
Website for the Vermont Marijuana Registry, a program located within the Department of Public Safety. Information includes:
- Information for Health Care Professionals
Understanding Workers' Compensation - A series by Nelson S. Haas, M.D.
- Part I: History of Workers’ Compensation in the United States and Vermont
- Part II: Vermont’s Workers’ Compensation Statutes, Rules, and Legal Precedents
- Part III: Understanding Workers' Compensation: Workers' Compensation and Medical Ethics
- Part IV: Determination of Causation in Workers' Compensation