The mission of VMS is to serve the public by facilitating and enhancing physicians' individual and collective commitments, capabilities, and efforts to improve the quality of life for the people of Vermont through the provision of accessible and appropriate health care services. Our purposes are these:
- To encourage and aid the progress and development of the sciences of medicine and surgery, and to encourage research in those areas
- To promote the public health
- To encourage cooperation among physicians in medicine and surgery, to elevate the standards of professional skill, care, and judgment
- To promote and follow ethical standards of conduct to benefit patients, individual physicians, other health professionals, and society as a whole; and,
- To advance the general social and intellectual welfare of its members.